On my Instagram the other day. I talked about how my really good friend lived in a small house in Downtown Salt Lake City. Most homes in that area are older, just like mine and smaller scale. I have to say I LOVED driving up to her home and passing the small quant restaurants all glowing at night. She lived on the most charming street, one of those streets you want to get out and walk so you can peep in the windows. Well one of downsides to this charming area and home is lack of storage. Back then we lived in 3,000 square feet in a new residential area. I have to admit I was a little horrified by the fact that she had to keep her shoes and belts in the cupboard next to her fridge (she is kind of a shoe hoarder, so I don’t think that would ever happen to me). But after driving away from her home I really want to live in it or by it. I was swooning over the charm of it all, the shoes in the kitchen were forgotten. They made the most of everything and isn’t that what it is all about?
I asked others to share funny little quirks about their homes and how they make the most of everything in their homes! Honestly there were SO many good comments on THIS post. But I picked out a couple of my favorites-
- “We are a family of 6 and just moved into a smaller home that is 1/2 the size of what they had before. Now living with one bathroom!”
- “I have a recliner that I have to pull out into the middle of the room so I can recline. Then push it back after I use it.”
- “You have to get to our half bath through our laundry room. We want to move it around eventually but for now… if you want to use the bathroom downstairs you get to see my laundry.”
- “I have some of my old jewelry in my dining room and my daughters have some toys underneath their beds! Oh and I keep winter hats and mittens next to our kitchen table!”
- “We have a small house. We had to get lockers off of Craigslist to store our coats and shoes.”
- “We once had my daughters sock and underwear dresser doubling as a side table in our living room – no big deal.”
- “Our laundry closet is right next to our back door. If you have the dryer open there is no way you are getting in the back door- good security system I guess, lol.”
- “We have a dresser in our kitchen because our little house came with only two kitchen drawers!”
- “Our only bathroom is on the main floor and the laundry is in it! This often means you get out of the shower and find clothes in the same room!”
- “We live in an old smaller home. We have shoes in a kitchen cabinet next to the dishwasher (the main entrance is right off the kitchen). We also have hooks in the dining room for pool towels. We have to make each space work for us.”
- “I have what I lovingly refer to as a one-butt kitchen. So my pantry and all my big items (some bakeware, linens, mixer, etc.) are all stored outside my kitchen. Some in a buffet in the living room, some in the basement! My kids have become my go-fers when I’m cooking.”
- “I have my underwear in a chest in the lounge.”
- “In my old house in DC, I used to keep my hairdryer, hairbrush, and mirror in a basket in our living room. I’d get ready there in the mornings. We had no storage or counter space in the bathroom. I also used to keep wrapping paper in the coffee table.”
- “I forfeited my linen closet to get a bigger bathroom – once I realized most of the “stuff” in it was never used I didn’t care. I use only one bottle of shampoo at a time anyway right? And we all use one towel at a time too. It’s amazing what you can do! I just Store a few cleaning supplies behind the bathroom door!”
- “After my husband and I got married, the first place we lived was this little cottage. The bedroom was only 7×10. But we fit our Queen size bed and two, yes TWO, dressers in there. We couldn’t open the door all the way because it hit the bed and we stacked the dressers on top of each other. It wasn’t a bedroom out of a magazine, but sometimes I miss that little place. I could clean the whole house in an hour.”
Now don’t you feel better about the quirks in your home?! Some of those are REALLY good and funny too, maybe not when you are trying to get your clothes from the dryer when someone is using the restroom. Honestly it is all about making the most of everything and making your home work for YOU!
- Speaking of small homes. I came acrsoss THIS Instagram account. Loved her kitchen- even if you don’t have a small house it is gorgeous and full of charm. I want a SMEG fridge like she has SO bad. I have considered moving our fridge to the basement and getting a SMEG because the depth and size would work so much better in our small kitchen. I like really like the green in her kitchen…I wonder if I could do that? Maybe just white?
- I talked about this on a couple Friday Favorites ago. About selling the big white sideboard in our front room. Well it sold and is leaving our home today! I bought THIS piece and we have it sitting in Finn’s nursery right now. My oldest filled it full of coloring books and art supplies. Can’t wait to share the changes to our front room.
- I am surprised by all the furniture selection from Urban Outfitters. Like THIS daybed THESE lockers. Ok THIS mirror with hooks for a bathroom? Genius. I actually think this would look great in our upstairs bathroom.
- I would say that green is one of the hottest colors right now. From adding it into your home with real plants or popping in a pillow like my new green velvet ones. Or THIS small storage bench is another great way to add a little color.
- My girls asked for hot chocolate yesterday! Not because they were cold just because it is a fun treat. Maybe I am feeling the same way….we can feel a change in the seasons coming. I just ordered one for each of us of THESE mugs. Perfect for my mug rack.
- You know I am a big Audible fan. Right now I am listening to THIS book- per a good friends recommendation. Really enjoying it so far!
That’s all folks. We are headed to New Jersey for a soccer game (my parents are flying in for Utah!) I am sure we will hit the beach, eat fun places and I *might* do a Yard Sale! I say might because I have never done one but I thought it would be a good way for me to get everything out and if it doesn’t sell it is already outside then we can load up to take to Good Will. Have you done a Yard Sale before? Any tips? Well wish me luck and if you are local leave a comment and I will let you know if I follow thru with it.