I have been making these brownies for years. I just took them to book club and my friends asked if the recipe was on my blog, so thought I should actually share these since I make them so often. Everyone loves them, and the fact that they are healthier than your typical brownie. On THIS post I shared why I eat Paleo. I should say used to eat strict Paleo. Now I eat maybe 90% Paleo- I eat oatmeal and am not as strict while I have been nursing. But when I was strict and whenever I would make a dessert everyone would ask me “Are these PALEO??” before they ate it. My mom…sorry to say it Mom but was the worst critic and would say “I can tell these are healthy” when she would eat a Paleo dessert. But with these brownies she was shocked they were Paleo and always requests them when she comes to visit us.
I could eat the entire pan so I make sure that I have others to share them with before I make them.
I found the recipe HERE. I switched out the vanilla with Mint extract for a little seasonal, Christmas touch. I also topped mine with mint chocolate stars I found at Trader Joes. (Yes you have seen me use them in cookies HERE and as easy gift ideas HERE… I might be obsessed with these at Christmas time).
Almond Butter Paleo and Gluten Free Brownies
- 1 cup almond butter (I have used peanut butter before in a pinch, they don’t hold their shape as well)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup of coconut palm sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla or mint extract
- ½ cup of chocolate chips of your choice (or make without to keep paleo)
- Mint cookie stars for topping (or make without to keep paleo)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a small dish (8×8 or 8×6)
- Mix all ingredients except chocolate chunks until smooth
- Fold in chocolate chunks and pour batter into pan
- Bake brownies until golden brown- for about 20 minutes- watch them close (when I used the mini muffin tins I baked them for 15 minutes)
- Top with mint starts now or leave as is
- Cool brownies for at least 10 mins before cutting
- Tip- use a plastic knife to cut brownies for a smooth cut
Patience is a virtue my little Lola.
I have one more recipe for you today! It is another favorite Paleo recipe. I love these bars and don’t just make them for the Holidays. They do make a great gift to give to a healthy friend or take to a party for a snack. They are supposed to stay formed as a bar, but sometimes mine just turns into a granola and still taste as delicious.
CRANBERRY NUT BARS
- 1 & 1/2 cups almonds
- 1 & 1/2 cups cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
Mix all of the above ingredients together and set aside
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
Heat all of the above ingredients starting with the oil over medium heat bringing to a simmer. Remove from heat and add in 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Combine with the other ingredients. Pour in a 11″x7″ baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. You can take out and flip half way through, I have used another sheet of parchment and flipped it onto that and cooked it mid-way through on the other side.
I store these in the fridge or the freezer and eat them right from either.
These are a great gift idea too- make a batch and top them on a homemade glass cake pedestal that I shared HERE– everything will only cost you a few dollars but make the greatest gift!