Have you ever heard of a Raclette? Or Raclette cheese? Well if no, then you were in the same boat as me. I have heard about a Raclette from three separate people in the past 6 months. I went to bookclub last month and the host served dinner on a Raclette. It was SO much fun! I kept thinking how great this would be for a Valentine dinner.
At bookclub we all sat around the table and cooked veggies and sausage over THIS Raclette grill. We discussed the book and cooked. I loved that she passed around a simple salad to start out the meal before all the food was cooked.
So I made the same meal for our little family, a little Valentine’s meal. I borrowed my friends rectangle Raclette grill until mine arrived, I ordered my round one HERE. I found Raclette cheese at a local cheese shop. I am not a cheese connoisseur. I really never eat cheese. But this Raclette cheese was really good! And you only really need one square with your dinner, so it is a really healthy meal. My friend said that Trader Joes has Raclette cheese around the Holidays and I am sure you could call around to some of your local shops before you run around all over looking for it.
Tips to an amazing tasty Valentine Dinner with a Raclette-
- Slice veggies thin we used- red pepper, yellow pepper, orange pepper, purple onion and asparagus. We just grilled the veggies without anything added to them- no oil required.
- The meat we used was chicken sausage from Trader Joes- the sausage worked best sliced in half to cook quicker.
- Add a baked or boiled potatoes on the side. My friend also added pickles, mustard and olives.
- The Raclette grill has a spot to heat up the cheese, we found that the cheese was the best if added to the grill right before the veggies were finished cooking. If you add the cheese to soon it will get hard.
- Bread is a really good addition to dip in the Raclette cheese and snack on while the veggies cook (we made my moms 24 cent bread HERE it is the BEST and easiest bread to make).
- Add a salad to eat before all the veggies and Raclette cheese is ready to eat.
My hubby was out of town so we will do this again on Valentines with him! The girls really enjoyed it and tried everything, I think it helped that they cooked it themselves.
Also trying to think of other things to make with our Raclette. It could easily be used for pancakes, you can flip the top of THIS one over to use as a smooth top. Maybe heat up different topping for pancakes?