My kids LOVE them a bath bomb. Anyone else? I love bath salts and typically avoided bath bombs because I was worried about the perfumes and funky ingredients. So why would I let my kids use them you ask? Ha! Good question. Typically they were a gift and I let them use them. Until the other day when Lola used a bath bomb that was given to her and she came out of the tub with red splotchy skin. And itching all over. So never again. Unless we DIY our own Bath Bomb. And we did just that!
This is a really simple recipe. We even left the bath bombs all white because I didn’t want to use food coloring of course. Or didn’t really want to take the time to make some all-natural dye, which you could totally do!
DIY Bath Bombs-
Bath Bombs with Essential Oils
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 2 tablespoons epsom salts
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 4 drops essential oil
- 1 teaspoon water or more if necessary
- Molds or large ice cream scoop
- In a large bowl combine baking soda, citric acid, and epsom salts. Stir well.
- In a smaller bowl combine coconut oil and essential oil
- Slowly whisk in wet ingredients into dry. It should reach a crumbly consistency.
- Your mixture is ready when you can mold it into a shape and it sticks without coming apart. If it is too crumbly, add in water, 1 tsp at a time. Mixture should be dry but able to hold a shape.
- To shape your bath bombs either pack them into your molds or a large ice cream scoop .
- Remove carefully and place on a baking sheet to dry for about 8-12 hours.
- Enjoy in your bath!
Links to Bath Bomb Ingredients-
Lola is my oil girl. Well actually everyone loves oils in this house. I let Lola pick out the oil combo. We doubled the recipe so we did 4 drops Lime Essential Oil and 4 drops Lavender!
Above is what the bath bomb looks like after you have mixed the dry ingredients with the wet.
I found that when I pressed the bath bomb up, rather than down, that worked best to get it out without breaking.
After they dry for about 8-12 hours keep in a glass jar as decor too!
All of my kids have used these and I did too! Loved the coconut oil, how it naturally softens skin. NO more bad reactions and worrying what you are bathing in!