My sister should own a bakery or a food truck! Because anyone who knows her knows that she makes the best cupcakes and cakes. Brittany is always the one to make the birthday cakes for family, friends and even a wedding cake. I rarely ever eat cake or a cupcake, it is not my weakness. But if my sister makes it I know all the love and effort that goes into it not to mention how yummy it is… I have a slice. For our mom’s birthday she made a Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Raspberry Filling and Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. She frosted it so well and added the simplest cutest toppings I couldn’t help but go a little photo crazy.
I shared some of the photo’s of the birthday over on Instagram and so many of you wanted the recipe. I actually attempted the recipe myself (AHHHH) for my friend Rachel’s Birthday! It came out exactly how it did when my sister made it (I did have her guiding me along the way). I told everyone they better enjoy it because I won’t be making it again…at least until someone requests it!
Both times there wasn’t a slice of cake left. All of the kids loved it even with the fresh raspberry filling.
Lola helped bake it, so she got to hold the masterpiece.
Also make sure to follow the instructions closely. It is an easy cake to duplicate but it does require some prep work!
Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Raspberry Filling Recipe-
- CAKE INGREDIENTS-
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1 tablespoons poppyseed's
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- RASPBERRY FILLING INGREDIENTS-
- 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cups sugar
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS-
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 5 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- CAKE DIRECTIONS-
- Let poppyseed's soak in the water for one hour.
- Add all of the ingredients starting from the top to the bottom to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium/high speed for about 2 minutes or longer until everything is blended well.
- Divide up batter evenly into greased cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Set on cooling rack to cool completely.
- RASPBERRY FILLING DIRECTIONS-
- In a small sauce pan combine all ingredients and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Keep stirring until thickened for best results.
- Set aside and let cool completely.
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING DIRECTIONS-
- Combine all ingredients and beat on medium-high speed until combined and whipped.
- Set aside.
- CAKE DECORATING DIRECTIONS-
- Place one cake round on cake stand.
- Use a pipping bag or cut a corner of a ziplock bag and fill with frosting.
- Pipe around the top of the cake along the edge with frosting.
- Fill inside the the frosting with the raspberry filling.
- Repeat on next layer.
- Refrigerate cake for about an hour.
- Frost the rest of the cake with the cream cheese frosting (frosting tips in photos below)
- We baked our cake In three 7" cake pans- you do not need to double to get three layers. BUT make sure to not fill the pans too high. We fill no more than half way. This will also keep each layer from rounding too much on the top.
- You can double this recipe if you want cupcakes too.
- We doubled it and got three 7" cakes and 24 cupcakes, you do not need to double the raspberry filling or the frosting.
We let the poppyseed soak in water an hour before adding to the batter. The popyseed’s absorb water so this prevents the cake from getting dry.
Zesting the lemons, smells amazing.
We used three of THESE 7″ cake rounds and notice how they are filled halfway or slightly under. Do not fill more than that or the top will round and you won’t have enough batter for all three pans.
Making the raspberry filling (the BEST part!). I add a lot of filling in-between each layer.
Cake Decorating Tips-
Shows how to pipe frosting around the edges of each cake to keep the raspberry filling from spilling out.
Important to refrigerate for one hour before frosting. If you don’t the layers will slide around and the filling leeks out.
After refrigerating apply a big glob of frosting.
We used THIS to spread the frosting on the cake.
Then use THIS to work on smaller amounts of frosting and for the top. And to make lines around the cake, like in the cake image below….
We forgot to do the lines with the second cake me made, it really adds a lot!
Top with fresh raspberries!
If you double the recipe you will get one three layer cake and 24 cupcakes! We doubled it both times. You do not need to double the raspberry filling or the frosting. You will have plenty for both. Below is how we fill the cupcakes with the raspberry filling. (We used THIS cupcake pan to bake 24 cupcakes at once!)
Poke each cupcake with a straw to remove the center of the cake. Fill the hole with the raspberry filling.
Enjoy! Believe me everyone will love this cake! And it is easier than it looks.