Kevin and I have a goal to go on a hike once a week, we love being back in Utah for the proximity to hiking trails. We are 5 minutes to the base of lots of trailheads. When we lived in Connecticut we still managed to find great trails, they were just a longer drive to get to, which we were willing to do. Our love of the outdoors runs deep for both Kevin and I. Neither of our parents had a lot of money when we were young, so exploring outdoors was a way for our parents to entertain us for free. My mom often worked every Saturday so my dad would load up all 4 of us kids and take us up the canyon, where we would go on really long hikes and or overnight camping trips. We NEVER just sat around at home or watched tv. And Kevin’s parents divorced when he was young, so every weekend with his dad they were outdoors somewhere.
We love to get our kids outside as much as possible and even my ideal date is something active outside. Got me thinking of outdoor experience gifts to give, even combined with some outerwear would make for a really thoughtful and practical gift.
Thank you Backcountry for sponsoring this post
I am really bad at buying gifts early, because I just give them to the person when it arrives! Anyone else? I had been searching for hiking boots for myself to wear on all our hikes, I had just been wearing gym shoes and wanted more ankle protection. I got myself these hiking boots and this pair of boots for Kevin. It would have made a really good Christmas gift, but I gave them to him right before our hike. PS- matching beanies are a must and those look good on everyone!
Getting outdoors is always a magical experience, and I always walk away feeling happier and more relaxed. Centered on the bigger picture. Here are some outdoor experience gift Ideas…
Outdoor Experience Gift Ideas-
I had this darling print made you can download for FREE! Hang it in a kids room or use it as the card to go with your Outdoor experience gift! (download HERE– you can hit “scale” to adjust to the size you want).
A lot of these depend on the weather where you live, but they could even be redeemed any time of the year!
- Snowshoe rental– with a date to go on a snowy walk! We did this one Christmas Eve and really enjoyed it. Shop snowshoes HERE.
- New sled or tube– plan a tubing date for the first snowy afternoon.
- Fly fishing lessons and or fishing license– pair this with a hat for sun protection. Shop fly fishing outerwear HERE.
- Sunrise hike– I have done this a handful of times, always worth the early wake up call.
- Guided sunset bike tour- several places offer this around us, google it for your area!
- River rafting experience– we would have to do a road trip for this, but would be a fun family gift.
- Ropes course– we have done this with our kids and with a bunch of adults, fun and challenging every time.
- Fly a kite– cheesy as it sounds, scheduling time to just fly a kite sounds amazing!
- Star gazing night– give a telescope and plan a date around Celestial Events.
- Kayaking day– My kids were all given kayaks by grandparents one year, and we use them often!
- Hike and picnic– find a hike on All Trails, you might be surprised at the hikes you didn’t know about near you. Shop hiking and camping outerwear and gear HERE.
- S’mores night- you could give the gift of a fire pit or a s’mores kit!
Backcountry is one of my favorite spots to find unique outerwear. They make it easy to pair with an outdoor experience. I recently found a coat and great clothes for men that I linked below. Backcountry has really great sales right now, and an offer for 20% off one full priced item! My coupon code is BROOKE15 for 15% off your first purchase and *some exclusion may apply.
- Stoic Insulated Jacket– comes in several colors, I would recommend sizing up!
- Beanie– these fit SO well and look great on everyone.
- Smartwool Striped Liner Glove– cute and practical! Going in my purse to keep on my at all times.
- The North FaceHimalayan Source Pullover Hoodie– maybe the cutest hoodie I own, great gift for a teen too!
- The North Face Paramount Active Pant– we ordered these for my Dad too! They looked great on Kevin.
- Patagonia Original Angler Organic T-Shirt– FAVORITE tee! Both colors are great, Kevin has the white.
- Zip-Up Jacket– Kevin was wearing this in our hike date! Fit is true to size.
- Back Country Fendler Flannel– Kevin layered this over the above white shirt, fit is true to size.
Share what outdoor experience you are giving this year and what you would want to receive!