We took some family pictures the other night. In our normal family picture taking ways, I set up our tripod and we took the pictures ourself. I would love to have a photographer on-hand but it just isn’t feasible for the impromptu time everyone happens to be ready. And for some getting a professional can be expensive, I believe anyone can do this themselves! Or ask a friend to trade with you! I suggest taking family pictures while everyone is all ready dressed up, hair brushed and has eaten. We took our pictures after church, typically the only day everyone is completely ready at the same time. I thought it would be fun to share FIVE tips for taking family pictures and our spring outfits!
Thank you Walmart for sponsoring this post
5 Family Picture Tips
- Coordinate your outfits ahead of time. This doesn’t mean you have to buy all new clothes. But it sometimes is easiest to buy at least one thing new thing for everyone that pulls the look together. I found ALL of our outfits on walmart.com!! Super affordable and also name brands too. I actually do a “design board” for our outfits, I will show below.
- Start with ONE inspiration piece that you then match everything off of. It could be your dress or outfit, that was my inspiration in this case. Or it could be inspired by the location you are taking your photos or the location the photos will be displayed after. I wanted my dress to coordinated with our back deck, as weird as that sounds, hahaha, but that was where I knew I wanted to take our photos!
- Don’t wait for perfect! Candid photos are often the best. Finn was being a typical 3 year old, not wanting to sit still for 2 seconds. About halfway through taking photos, I flipped my camera setting over to “action” and was able to capture Finn and not a blurry blob of Finn!
- Offer rewards and give treats along the way. No matter the age, kids get annoyed with family pictures (I mean, I think ALL of us do). Offer a treat after the photos are all done. Or for us, we have to offer treat breaks along the way. I remember one of my friends who was a photographer that she gave kids a little smartie candy while they were taking the photos. So keep tiny little candies to pass out as you go, a little sugar is worth it!
- Find a close to home location for photos. Don’t waste your time driving an hour to the perfect spot. Because by the time you get there everyone will be a mess and already over it (unless their is more than just photos to take at this destination). I personally love just taking photos outside, against your house or fence, the cleanest, simplest spot. Just remember to take pictures when the sun is going down and not casting shadows or making everything washed out. Also have the sun BEHIND the people. If they are staring at the sun, they will squint and it will wash them out. You can see in our photos below, the sun was setting behind us. This will save you time and you will be close to the resources you might need, brush, food, water, lipstick etc.
My spring floral dress was the starting off point for our family pictures (it sold out!) It was from Walmart! I wore it to church the other day and got so many compliments. It was a color and style I am not used to wearing and have nothing like it. But that’s why I picked it, it felt fresh! I also paired it with THIS $14 distressed denim jacket! I can’t even remember how I found these pieces. But did you know that Walmart has premium name brands? So you can search by a specific brand, HERE on their premium brand page. Or I just searched specifically for women’s floral dresses!
I was in a store and saw on a mannequin dressed in color blocking! And I LOVED the look. I have yet to try it myself. But I tried it on Kevin. I found him THESE Brooks Brothers pink shorts and THIS Brooks Brothers darker pink sweater (which he has been wearing often!) both are from Walmart, I made sure to shop Premium Brands for Kevin, he is a little more particular about his clothes. These both passed the test.
I might be biased but the kids look cute no matter what! The girls LOVE jumpers. So rather than dresses I found these, both from Walmart and under $15. Find Lola’s jumper HERE and Ella’s HERE. Finn’s shirt HERE and his skinny jeans HERE (“like Daddy” he said).
Like I said…candid photos are the best! haha!
PS- If you think our pictures went just perfect, wrong. Half the time of our 30 minutes of taking pictures was Kevin chasing Finn around…..
In the playhouse….then in the tramp (this is why Kevin is so fit 😂)