Some of you might have heard this story, but wanted to share it again as to why we finally decided on a home security system. We would have really liked to have outdoor cameras to protect our home and car, when our car was stolen. I didn’t realize WHY we could have benefited from outdoor security cameras, if we had outdoor security cameras we would have been alerted immediately of motion outside our home and we would have been protected.
About a month ago, Kevin woke up to head into work around 4:30 am. Walked outside and noticed the car wasn’t where it should be. He came back in, thinking I didn’t tell him I was going to the gym, then he found me, still in bed. He woke me up and asked if I had moved the car. It was really startling to be woken up asking about our car, my heart raced thinking it was something really bad. As soon as he asked me, I got up and went to look out the window and my stomach sank, I had left my purse and keys in the car. That night I was planning to go back out to pick up a child from soccer, but soccer ended up being canceled due to rain. So my purse and keys were left in the car. Quickly we realized that we had been robbed. But seriously our car?? Right from our driveway?
Believe it or not thief happens no matter where you live. In our nice community there were over 30 cars stolen this past year! I think many of us could use some information about home security and a reminder to not be so casual in our safety.
A police officer tried to pull him over as he caught him speeding out of our neighborhood. I felt responsible for the high-speed pursuit that wrecked 3 cop cars (they are safe). That part makes me feel the worst. Me being distracted and leaving my purse in the car and not protecting my family could have hurt someone. Our car was finally found about 30 miles from our home a day later, my purse and wallet was never found. Our car ended up being totaled. The thief drove it all that way, 30 miles on the freeway, on 3 tires!!! The police officers tried to stop him by putting down the tack strips to blow out the tires and ended up just getting one tire.
The feeling of being robbed is so unique. I wasn’t really mad. I was just kind of shaken. I just kept thinking how thankful I was that it was just our car, they didn’t try to come into our home. All of our kids were safe in their bed. After I pictured it being worse, that is when I started to cry. I cried because I was thankful our kids were safe. I cried because the police officers were safe. I cried because I was nervous to tell our kids and didn’t want them to be afraid of someone robbing our home or doing it again.
We needed some peace of mind and something to comfort our kids when we told them what happened.
It is one hundred percent pain in the neck sorting through police reports, cataloging and replacing what is missing, cancelling cards, getting new IDs, and all while real life just carries on! But we learned a valuable lesson on protecting ourselves, our homes and others. Being someone who prefers action to wallowing, we have made a few changes in the way we handle our personal and home security.
What we did and do for Home Security- (keep reading for special offer)
- First, I don’t leave possessions of value in the car. EVER. This one should be a no-brainer, but it can be tempting to just leave a purse or bag or laptop behind if you think you will just be in and out, but most crimes are crimes of OPPORTUNITY. You are safest when you make yourself a HARD TARGET.
- We have been more vigilant in locking up doors and windows all day and not just at night.
- We have added extra security to our WIFI system.
- Most importantly, we got our whole home set up with an ADT security system! We had a security system at our home in Utah and just never got one here. I really missed it and the extra security it offered from when we are home and when we travel.
We did a lot of research and decided to go with ADT, because it is America’s largest security provider. Instead of having to manage things with multiple apps, we can have it all in the same place. Plus, there is a lot more support from ADT! “Our systems communicate even if the phone or cable line is cut, power is out or the Internet or broadband is down. There are thousands of ADT employees ready to help.”
- Fire monitoring and carbon monoxide detection. Last year when I partnered with the United Firefighters to post about fire safety, I did a lot of research to make sure we were prepared. I was so excited to learn of the added safety measures that ADT offers. “When every second counts, monitored smoke and carbon sensors can detect the first signs of fire or carbon monoxide. ADT monitoring centers can quickly alert your local fire department and send you a text or alert immediately.”
- Door locks right from my phone! Makes it easier to make sure all it tightly locked up before bed too.
- Glass Break we get an alert if window glass is broken.
- Outside Camera that covers our driveway (or anywhere you want it to cover) and would alert us with any motion within a certain range that we set. “Stay aware of important activity at your property anytime, not just when there’s an emergency. With the ADT Control App you will be able to customize your notifications!”
- Doorbell Camera- we have had our security system for about a month and we have use the feature to speak to visitors more than we can count!! When we are away from home and someone needs to get in our house we can walk them thru how to get in! “With a WiFi doorbell you can also receive notifications when the doorbell is pressed, speak with visitors, unlock your door right from the app, record video clips when the doorbell is pressed or motion triggered, and have lights turn on automatically.”
ADT has offered all of my readers FREE security equipment and a FREE Installation. Get a free quote HERE (They can easily switch over your current system)
***Be sure to check with your insurance company. We got a discount on our homeowner’s policy for having a security system. The discount was enough to cover the monthly fee. This makes it a total no brainer!!!
Go HERE to get a free quote
I love that ADT is all-inclusive! We can adjust our thermostat through ADT. Just one app for it all!
Our ring doorbell is connected to our ADT system as well! We can easily talk to someone at our door and get notified if there is motion outside. We have been really happy with the addition of the doorbell camera.
I love to know that my house is being protected all day, everyday. Talk about peace of mind! There’s no obligation to sign up for ADT, if you have been thinking about a security system for your home, or would like to learn more, visit nestingwithgracesecurity.com and request a quote. I think you will be surprised and how affordable it is!