We are ready to share our speedy outdoor painted patio makeover!! It was a QUICK project. I thought of the idea to paint the cement/patio area on a Saturday. We bought paint and started painting Monday and finished it that same day. It was actually very easy to paint (says the person who watched someone do it). Kevin actually painted the cement. I did draw it out and helped him chalk it off, then cheered him on while he painted.
This mini outdoor furniture makeover was part of a commercial I was in for The Christmas Tree Shops. I went and filmed the commercial in February. The commercial was me shopping in their store and saying lines (that was hard!!) like “check out this haul!!” Even if that was my first time saying that word, it was the most appropriate way to use it! Ha! It was a very fun outdoor haul!
The commercial was all about spring and summer outdoor furniture. I fake shopped and also real shopped. Then came home and made-over our outdoor space! The commercial was a fun experience, and also a way harder experience than I thought it would be. I got to meet some very talented and kind people. And be exposed to an entirely different world!
We started at 4 am and ended at 4 pm. I had to say lines over and over and over. Let me just say I have a HUGE appreciation for actors. (I will link the commercial at the end!). Enough about the commercial, let’s look at our back patio painted cement makeover with the new outdoor furniture….
We started with a blank slate. We have this large blacktop area that you could pull your car back here to park. But we have such a long driveway we don’t need to pull our cars back here. Plus we like to use the front door, where the coat closet is. The kids love to play on this blacktop space- ride bikes, draw with chalk, jump rope etc. And do have a large space to the left of this square pad too. Kevin and I would pull random chairs back here to watch them play and last year I added an umbrella for some shade. We decided to add extra seating down here with a gazebo for some shade.
You can see our pattern we decided on. A basic checkerboard pattern. Simple, timeless and fun!
And this is the painted checkerboard blacktop after! We did end up added a white boarder, the black felt like it needed to be defined. This was a simple project. One that replaced the need for an outdoor rug. Because we all know that outdoor rugs get trashed all too quickly. But then again, we will have to touch up this paint after the season is over, but it is pretty easy!
Painted Patio Process-
Tips for painting your cement, deck or blacktop patio space-
- Clean the area really well! Use a pressure washer or a hose.
- You could prime the cement or blacktop with concrete primer, called block prime. We did not.
- Measure off the space and keep in mind the size of the furniture (which you want to do this before you order furniture or buy it).
- Draft out the floor plan to scale. That really helped up to know exactly what the pattern would look like. I even colored it with colored pencils.
- Paint- we used Behr Premium Porch and Patio Floor Paint
- Measure it off. Then chalk it off. We used THIS Chalk Reel.
- You could tape it off at this point, we did not. Kevin has a really steady hand and just used a nice paint brush on the edges. He used a roller for the larger squares. Then went in with the brush.
- Let it dry then apply a second coat of paint!
- Lastly the best part- style it!
Ta-da! We have created another spot place to expand our outdoor living! We have already been using this space a lot. We had friends over the other day and the kids played on the play set and we sat under the gazebo and chatted. Nice to be right there to see what is going on and have a nice spot in the shade! Everything came from The Christmas Tree Shops. It was all super affordable. If you don’t live near a Christmas Tree Shops (obviously, not just Christmas) you need to stop by if you are ever on the East coast. They do have an online shop too. But I really searching for fun, unique and affordable finds!
You can shop this entire look over at The Christmas Tree Shops and see my commercial HERE!