I don’t know if shared before that Kevin is a wonderful cook and a creative one too! We both cook but he is the one to cook dinner most often. We are a team and both do a lot of the house stuff that includes cooking, so why not send in the best player! My favorite thing he makes is Smashed Sweet Potatoes. I request these often! They make the perfect healthy, paleo, gluten-free side dish. And this is about the only way my kids like to eat sweet potatoes, well besides in fry form. I always say give me a sweet potato and I am a happy camper. When I started eating a strict paleo diet sweet potatoes saved me!
I shared in my stories a video as Kevin was making these Smashed Sweet Potatoes and so many of you asked for a blog post too! That way you can pin the recipe to Pinterest or print it out. (PS- how do you organize recipes??)
My favorite guy with my favorite food! I love when the edges of the Smashed Sweet Potato gets black and crispy on the edges. In my highlight videos on Instagram (I shared the video below too) I was prepping dinner for Kevin to make and I lined the baking sheet with parchment paper. Don’t do it. Besides the fact that the paper could possibly burn when it is cooking on broil it also prevents the bottom of the Smashed Sweet Potatoes to get crispy!
Smashed Sweet Potatoes-
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1/8 cup Olive Oil
- 1/8 cup Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper*
- Bake sweet potatoes (See below)
- Combine seasonings in a separate small bowl
- Remove skin from sweet potato once baked (you could leave skin on and chop up small if you want the skin nutrients)
- Smash sweet potatoes on a cutting board
- Scoop up about 1/4 a cup, about the size of a large cookie or desired amount and place on baking sheet and smash down into a round shape
- Drizzle with olive oil and honey
- Sprinkle seasonings over the top of each sweet potato with your desired amount
- Broil in the oven on high for about 12-15 minutes (watch closely) I like mine to get black on the edges
- How to bake a sweet potato in the oven-
- Don't preheat the oven. Prick your sweet potatoes each 2-3 time with a fork, then place them directly on the oven rack in the middle of the oven, above the rack with the foil. Turn the oven on to 425. Bake for 45 minutes for sweet potatoes/yams that are 2-3 inches in diameter.
- How to bake sweet potatoes in pressure cooker-
- Put the steamer rack into the bottom of your pressure cooker pot. Add in the 1 cup of water to the pot. Place the sweet potatoes on the steamer rack. Set the pressure cooker to cook on high pressure for 15 minutes
- How to boil sweet potatoes on stove top-
- Cut sweet potatoes into cubes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender about 20 minutes.
- *You will have leftover spices. These spices taste great on so many things. Just label a jar and save! Also reduce the amount of Cayenne Pepper to make it less spicy (and for kids).
- *Yes you do "broil" the sweet potatoes. They do not burn. The reason is the sweet potatoes are really soft and have a lot of moisture. But still stay close like you would for anything you broil. Ovens vary. Our oven only has a "broil" setting and does not specify high or low (many of you have tested and boil on high).
I double this recipe when we make it so we have leftover for breakfast, lunch or dinner again! About 4 large sweet potatoes make 10 servings. You can make this recipe with any variety of potato.
I always bake my sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker and peel the skin after- it just slides right off.
We served our Smashes Sweet Potatoes with Scallops (from Trader Joes) and broccoli. It was amazing!
Find a spice jar and make a big batch of the spices to keep on-hand. (PS- labeling makes everything better) Label Maker HERE
And we used our new Pressure Cooker the last time making these and I LOVE it! I love the size too (8 qt). We baked 8 sweet potatoes at once!
Also find our Copper Non-Stick Baking Sheet HERE
Video of Kevin baking Smashes Sweet Potatoes (taken from Instagram Stories)-