Let’s break it all down by why each change made the space cozier. Because all of these textures really are what make a room.
Even just removing the wood blinds they had made a difference. The room feels taller now, cozier and more custom. I was thrilled to find the exact size they needed for these small windows that mount inside the molding. Find the exact Bamboo Blinds HERE.
Again they had wood blinds on these windows that we removed. They actually have a really great front porch that is covered and between that and the blinds not a lot of light was getting in. I found black curtain rods HERE at Target and THESE really great white curtain panels. If you are unsure of what window treatment to do and the specifics you can never go wrong with a simple black rod and white linen panels.
Curtain Panel Tip– When hanging your curtains have the leading edge line up wth the outside of the window so you don’t block any of the window. This will also make the window feel larger.
The first reason for the rug change was that the old rug was a trellis pattern and it was really similar to the new deco tile. I don’t love the same pattern so close together like that. Also I thought a darker rug would really contrast the light sectional they already have really nicely. And it really worked! We found the rug at Target! You can find it HERE (on major SALE today only).
We pulled in the darker navy in the rug onto the sectional with some Indigo Mudcloth pillows. Those were mine that I have held onto, you can find similar HERE. I took off the small pillows she had, on a large sectional I suggest nothing smaller than 20″ and also to “bookend” the pillows. (Find more of my pillow tips HERE). Also her sectional is from Lillian August Outlet Center (5 years old).
Eclectic Fireplace Decor-
First of all we switched up the mirror to THIS mirror from Target. Mirrors are not always the best solution for a fireplace but it works in this space because it doesn’t reflect anything weird or distracting. I also layered THIS frame and added THIS print from Katherine Jury inside it. Layering a piece of art over the mirror really adds a lot. The pop of pink makes it playful and eclectic. Books are Good Will finds, I had them saved for a navy project! Jars found at Target too. When I shared this on my Instagram Stories I had a lot of questions about the yellow flowers, they are called Billy Balls, you can find them HERE.
Fireplace Makeover Tips-
These are in my friends words (tried make sense of it- but I thought the photos above were super helpful!)
- Used Primed White Pine 1 x 8 and 1 x 4. Ripped the 1 x 8 down to 6 3/4″ making the top and sides all the same.
- The part covering the brick is a 1 x 6- glued onto the brick with liquid nails.
- He cut all pieces on a 45 degree angle, so they fit together.
- Primed White Pine 1 x 8 again ripped to 6 3/4″.
- Sides are 40 1/2 the next piece was 6 3/4 and the top was 6 3/4″
- Mantel is made out of THESE Common Boards pieced together.
- The top piece is glued together, then nailed it, hollow in back. He sanded it a lot to make the edgers rounded, then used a chisel, hammer, screws, etc to distress it.
- Stained in Minwax, Special Walnut with a Polycrylic over the top.
- Mantel top is 54″ off the floor.