We are antsy to get projects done at our house! I have a motto I like to say, when life and projects seem overwhelming… “just do one thing!” So the one thing we wanted to do was get our front porch and back porch ready to enjoy. Plus, doing this simple project helped us get a vision for the entire exterior. We are at the house often and having a few places to sit would be appreciated by all!
Thank you Walmart for sponsoring this post
The first thing we wanted to change, besides the doors, was to add some tongue and groove wood to the ceiling of the front and back porch. The wood before was painted particle board that looked unfinished. I will do a full blog post on how we did this ceiling soon, but wanted share where we are today!
This is cedar wood that Kevin sanded to get that raw wood look. We still need to seal it, I will share the entire process soon! Especially since we are doing the exact thing in our backyard porch.
I just got this hanging wicker chair from Walmart.com, and couldn’t resist hanging it as soon as it showed up! It was very affordable compared to other hanging chairs. And this front porch ended up being a really fun spot to have it!
Even though I love this door, the sidelights aren’t in good shape, so we will be replacing the door. My sister will get this door! I did want to show the power of paint and what it can add! We are planning on changing up our rock, it would have been good to do those first. Sometimes you might have to do things backwards in order to see the vision. Doing this project first helped us decide that we do, in fact, want to change the rock (more on that soon).
We are painting the entire house in Blacktop. We have slowly done a few sections to make sure we love that color. And we do! The windows will all be Tricorn Black, that is what we painted the door too.
How to hang a hanging chair-
We just used a simple hook to hang the chair (bought at a home improvement shop). Then we hung the chair with some rope coated in polyurethane for weather proofing.
Added a few planters around the front door, so you could get the whole vision. Our landscaping is going in end of the week too! This planter is one of my favorites from Walmart.com I used it in my sisters backyard makeover we did last week. Check out the other planters below…
Outdoor Decor Favorites from Walmart-
- Hanging Chair– this is the one we did above- comes with the cushion
- Lounge Chair– so cute for your backyard or around a pool
- Wicker Round Ottoman– cute little ottoman
- Egg Chair– an option if you don’t have a spot for a hanging chair
- Low planter– this is so cute with that scallop edge
- Planter with wood stand– one of my favorites with that darling pattern- I used it on my sisters backyard makeover too
- Faux Terracotta Planters (I spray painted in a mat charcoal spray paint)
- Planters with wood feet– we had these at our CT home, we did leave them for the new home owners
- Porch Swing– great price for a porch swing!
- Hello Doormat– we had this and loved it, I like that is comes in a larger size
PS- used this Chalked Paint to update these planters!