We do have a basement in our Utah home. I haven’t shared much of it…today I wanted to share our mudroom that has a basement entrance to our backyard, which leads right to the pool. It will be a great space for pool goers to access a bathroom, a place to grab towels, shower and grab a beverage. Figuring out the towel situation was probably the only annoying thing about having a pool…I know, first world problems. But having a pool in our previous home made me aware that towels need to be part of the pool plan!!
Let me elaborate on the towels. One too many times kids would get out to the pool and say “I don’t have a towel” so someone would have to run into the house dripping wet to get one. First time it happened we told our kids that they weren’t allowed to get in the pool before making sure they had a towel. But friends would come and the story would repeat. Then what do you do with the wet towels after?? Oh the saga. 😉
Now we will have a place to grab towels, in a mud room with tile floor. And a place to hang towels, in an open locker type concept. Towel saga over. There ARE other solutions we found in CT. We had a Rubbermaid cabinet outside for towels (the kids just had to remember to check if towels were in it). It worked well to keep the towels from getting wet if it rained. And we did just hang hooks on our fence for towels to hang to dry.
You can see the Rubbermaid cabinet we had for towels off to the right (I can’t find it online anymore). It kept them dry if it rained too.
Then just put hooks on the fence for towels to dry.
Mudroom and Pool Room Design Plan-
- Yellow Light– I did two of these for this space, since that light is only 12″
- Swimmer Wallpaper– in LOVE with this!!!! This wallpaper is really going to make this space so fun!
- Washer and Dryer– we ordered these in white (did black on our main floor). I wrote all about our washer and dryer choice on this post.
- Honeycomb Tile Floor– doing this where the lockers are and washer and dryer.
- Lockers Inspiration Source– I really like how there is a bench and hooks on all sides- reminds of an actual locker room! Gave this photo to our cabinet maker.
- Sconces- (swoon! ps- other color options)– these will go in the wet bar area over two shelves and simple cabinets.
- Saffron Subway Tile– just ordered this, it will match the honeycomb tile color.
- Opal Countertop Ice Maker– we will have this on our wet bar for sure! Grab a drink full of ice and head out to the pool.
- Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter– we LOVE this filtered water dispenser, it will be perfect at a wet bar area.
- SMEG Fridge– I have been dying to do pink appliances for awhile! This fun wet bar by our mudroom was the perfect opportunity for pink!!!
This is what our mudroom/pool room looks like now. Straight ahead, by the door is where the lockers will go. We are getting a new door, one with a window to let in more light.
Our washer and dryer will go here, with a cabinet over the washer and dryer. To the left is where I want to do the swimmer wallpaper.
And this is where our wet bar will go. Yesterday we actually decided to add a sink, I figured a sink would come in handy to rinse out cups etc. Wouldn’t you? The fridge will be on the far right, a PINK fridge!
Did a quick basic mock-up! Wasn’t sure I was going to do the mustard tile. What do you think?? See another option…
What look is your favorite??