I love a really fluffy bed, which doesn’t have to mean a lot of pillows. A fluffy bed means it looks like if you jumped in the bed you would leave an imprint when you got up, and really wouldn’t want to get up! Sharing all the keys to creating a fluffy bedding look and all the beds in our home!
The key to a fluffy bed is all about the bedding inserts! I have worked in a high-end design store since I was 15, a lot of years! I bought my first fluffy duvet when I was 20, and it cost around $300, I saved up for it, I wanted fluffy bedding instead of any pair of name brand shoes or bag. And guess what, I had that same duvet, up until maybe 4 years ago, when I gave it to someone for a bedroom makeover (I had my eye on this organic duvet). When you buy quality inserts, they last and they are the foundation to every good bed.
Making the Bed Recipe-
All of our Beds have basically the same recipe–
- Mattress Pad
- Sheet Set (we have been loving printed sheets right now!)
- Quilt (sometimes we skip a quilt, Finn’s bed is the only one with a quilt after sheets)
- Blanket layered at end of bed
- Sleeping pillows in the back
- Euro Shams
- Decorative Pillow
Making of the Bed Source-
- Mattress Pad Cooling– this mattress protector is also cooling and has a fiber fill for gentle cushion.
- Mattress Protector – this mattress pad is waterproof! “Ultra-thin waterproof barrier sits between two layers of soft cotton jersey ensuring a quiet and restful sleep while repelling liquids and stains”
- Mattress– we have all Green Guard Certified mattresses, read all about them here!
- 2″ Mattress Pad– I like this mattress pad as an option if you don’t love your mattress and don’t want to buy a new mattress. 2-inch mattress pad designed to add a little extra comfort to help relief pressure points like hips and shoulders.
- Duvet Insert- Extra Warmth– this is my favorite insert!!! Nothing else can make your bed as full and fluffy! I love that it is organic too.
- Decorative Sham Insert- Firm– this sham looks best for the decorative pillows you want extra full
- Decorative Euro Insert- Firm– only insert I use for euro shams, I go with the firm
- Sleeping Pillow Adjustable– my favorite pillow to sleep on! I love that it is toxic-free, green guard certified. Also that you can easily adjust it to fit how you like to sleep.
- Sleeping Pillow Foam– My kids like this one because of the height and not to firm or too soft feel. Also green-guard certified.
I really love our bedding in our primary bedroom. And on every bed in our home right now we have printed sheets! They are my FAVORITE!!! Besides holding up really well, they also give that charming cozy vibe that I adore. Plus if you keep the rest of your bedding neural, you can easily swap out the sheets for a different look!
- Holly Green Printed Sheet Set $159 Q
- Teal Dash $50 Q
- Pretty Peach Floral $50 Q
- Jylin Navy $198 Q
- Cream Sheets with Tulips $50 Q
- Blue Floral $50 Q
- Lavender Floral $19 Q
- Begonia Sheets with Blue Detail $129 Q
- Blue Leaf Arc $194 Q
- Gingham Rose Breezy $119 Q
- Gold Leaf Arc $199 Q
- Black with Wildflowers $79
- Green Floral Toile $79 Q
- Strawberry Fields $179
Accent Pillow Inserts-
Quality pillow inserts MAKE any pillow look better! I typically go up two sizes, so if the pillow cover is 20″ I do a 22″ insert. In these darling 20″ ric rac pillow covers, I used these 24″ down inserts, but the 22″ down insert, did look nice too, just preferred the 24″. IKEA has these 26″ inserts, I like but they are pretty flat, so I put those in 20-22″ pillow covers. PS- in Lola’s bedroom window we have this star garland, this felt bow garland and bird garland.
Metal Bed // Ruffle Duvet (color gray) // Duvet Insert (ultra) // Green Quilt // Printed Sheets // Printed Shams // Sleeping Pillow Insert // Sham Insert (extra firm) // Euro Sham // Euro Insert (firm) // Round Boucle Accent Pillow // All bedroom sources HERE
Finn (little boy) Bedding-
Finn had plaid Christmas bedding on for a couple of months. The other day he asked if he could change his bedding, I think my profession has rubbed of on all my kids, they love to decorate their bedrooms, especially their beds. Finn picked out most everything on his bed! And his bedding started with these printed animal sheets & shams! Also this Gingham Check Duvet & Shams is such a great value, and timeless style!
Plaid Bed // Cooling Mattress Pad // Printed Animal Sheets & Shams // Air Layer Gray Quilt Olive Marshmallow Comforter // Gingham Check Duvet & Shams // Duvet Insert // Hudson Bay Blanket // Sleeping Pillow Inserts (firm) // Sham Inserts // Gray Cloud Euro Sham // Euro Insert (firm) // Cute Fox
Shop Finn’s Bedroom HERE
Ella (teen girl) Bedding-
Ella’s bedroom is full of color, and helped design it all and did such a good job. She has had her white duvet cover for a while, we like how it balances out all the color. We recently added the Holly Green Printed Sheet Set, and they were just what the room needed!!! I like how the green sheets are repeated in the posters.
Jenny Lind White Bed // Mattress Protector // Holly Green Printed Sheet Set // Down Duvet Insert (medium fill) // White Linen Duvet // Dusty Rose Constance Cloud Quilt // Black and White Floral Sham // Down Sham Pillow Insert // All room sources HERE
Lola (teen girl) Bedding-
Lola’s actual Bed is one that I would want for myself! Her room feels very cottage, collected. The Lilac Linen Duvet with Duvet Insert is a great starting off point. Then I mixed these Purple Quilted Euros, that are so cozy! We also added these Julian Navy Printed Satin Sheets to go with that feel and we like how the blue repeats her bookcase color (Light blue from Farrow & Ball). Her quilt at the end of the bed pulls in the colors in her art, and the quilt is reversible!
She how we reversed the Sunshine Quilt at the end of her bed?? Creates a totally different look! Bonus of getting a quilt with two beautiful sides.
Rattan Bed // Mattress Pad // Lilac Linen Shams // Sham Inserts // Purple Athena Euro // Euro Inserts (Firm) // Lilac Linen Duvet // Duvet Insert // Julian Navy Printed Satin Sheet Set // Navy Scallop Pillow // Sunshine Quilt
In our triplet guest room is a great example of why having a neutral duvet makes it easy to totally change up the look of you bedding with just a different blanket at the end of the bed and a different pillow cover. Again, we have a fun print on the sheets, that looks great in both looks!
Went from a lot of color, to neutral with just a few simple changes! Something to keep in mind with making your bed.
Rattan Beds // Mattress Pad // Sheets- Gingham Organic // White Duvet Cover // Duvet Insert- Extra Warmth // Autumn Floral Quilt // Autumn Floral Shams // // Decorative Sham Insert- Firm // Euro Insert- Firm // Everything Else HERE
Check out our last bedroom HERE! This is the only bed without printed sheets, and now I am itching to find some. I have all white on this bed, with a contrast on the end of the bed and pillow.
Thanks for taking the bedding tour!