I used to make a pot pie with canned cream of chicken…(GASP!) and I used Marie Calendar pie crust. It was a BIG hit. I have made it for over 20 people or given out the recipe. I would make it for friends and neighbors who had just had babies and make it often for my family.
I started to eat strict Paleo about three years ago. I needed to come up with another way to make pot pie since my family loved it. They do love this Paleo version just as much. I normally triple this and freeze the filling to have on hand to give to someone or feed us, then just make the crust easily the day of. I also like that I don’t have to run to the store to hunt down the pie crust.
Paleo Pot Pie
Healthy Recipe for the traditional Pot Pie and the easiest paleo crust
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped and peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup almond milk
Paleo Pot Pie Crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Sauté veggies excluding peas in coconut oil or olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in spices. Cook until veggies are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Coat vegetables in almond flour.
- Stir in chicken broth and almond milk. Bring to a boil then simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. If you like your filling thinner you can skip this part or if your filling seems great skip this- Take out 1/4 cup of the broth and stir in tapioca flour (or corn starch if not making it Paleo) to make a rue and slowly stir in the mixture to thicken up the broth.
- Stir in the peas and the chicken and turn off heat
Pot Pie Crust
- Mix all the crust ingredients together with a fork until it is crumbly. The coconut oil does not need to be melted. Press half of the mixture to the base and up the sides of the pie pan with your fingers.
- Pour filling onto the crust
- With the other half of the crust press down with your fingers onto your counter (making it thin and about the size of the top of the crust). Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes for the top of the filling. Use a spatula to pick up the shapes, they fall apart easily. And then place shapes on top of the filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower the oven t0 350 for 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
*I would recommend using blanched almond flour if you can easily get it, blanched is lighter in color and lighter in taste. *You will start to adapt it and use what veggies you have on hand. My girls loved to take this for lunch in their thermos, makes me happy they are getting a good healthy meal for lunch!
You can read more of my favorite paleo recipes HERE
I miss your dinners! You definitely know how to do pot pie right! Paleo & regular!! Those shapes are so cute. Leave it to you to make dinner so special for your family! I love it!!
Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage says
This sounds delicious! I look forward to trying the recipe! One question? Is the chicken already cooked or do you put in raw chicken? Thanks!
Brooke Christen says
Yes cooked chicken! I used a rotisiri chicken that I shredded up.
Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage says