Have I told you how much I love a crisp? Peach crisp, apple crisp, berry crisp…I love them all! It really just depends on the time of year it is for the filling you want to use. Summer is when you’re going to find the best berries, think fruit stands and Farmers Markets! What’s also great is you can use frozen berries and love this dessert all year long. Ella helped me make this Berry Crisp, she agreed it was quick and so yummy! We had minimal clean up because we used a cast iron skillet. Sharing that recipe with you today….
Summer Berry Crisp
- 6 cups fresh or frozen fruit (I used 3 lbs frozen mixed berries)
- 1/2 cup berry jam of choice (I did blackberry)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter (cold, cubed or grated)
- 3 tbsp maple sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter your cast iron skillet or baking dish. Add 3lbs of fruit in skillet, add jam, vanilla, maple syrup and stir.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and arrowroot power, stir until fruit is coated.
- In a separate bowl, make topping by combining all dry ingredients. Stir then add butter and 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, use pastry cutter, fork or hands to mix well.
- Sprinkle topping over berries.
- Put crisp in oven, uncovered. Bake for 20 min.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with last 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup and sprinkle about 2 tbsp butter over the crisp, put back in over for 20-25 more minutes.
- Remove from oven when berries are bubbling and the crisp topping is starting to brown.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Dish into bowls and top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.