I was honored to get to work with Farrow and Ball on this campaign. Because little did I know how valuable and helpful it would be! I actually consider myself confident in the paint department, I rarely pick a color I don’t like and I am not afraid of color. But I often say, it would be nice to bounce ideas off of someone who is an expert in paint. Thankfully there is someone who you can hire to do such a thing. And I had them help me our home office.
Farrow and Ball offers a Colour Consultancy Service on their website! Depending on where you live they offer a virtual color consultancy or an in-home service. We had a tight turn-around time so I did a virtual consultation. After you book your appointment Farrow and Ball will match you with one of their expert Colour Consultants. I had my call with Paddy O’Donnell, he is an International Brand Ambassador for Farrow & Ball.
The next step is they send you a questionnaire to complete. Which I thought had very insightful questions, all things to consider BEFORE picking paint! Below are some of the questions they asked me and are great to keep in mind when picking paint.
Things to consider when picking paint-
- How do you want to live in the spaces and what is their function? Example – Is this a room you use only at certain times of day or high traffic areas, etc.
- How do you want them to feel? Example- informal, warm, bigger, cool, lighter, sophisticated, relaxed?
- Do you have a particular look or style that appeals to you? Do you have an inspiration photo or item?
- Are you changing or keeping any key pieces? Example – sofas, carpets, artwork etc.
- Are you interested in a neutral tone scheme, bold colour choices or a combination?
- What is the lighting in the rooms? Example – A lot of natural light in the morning or West facing room.
I did send in my design board that had furniture I had bought for the space and the paint I was considering from Farrow and Ball. So he came prepared knowing a lot about the space before our hour call. It was such a productive fun call!
I have actually paid for another similar service, that cost A LOT more. I got more out of this consult with Farrow and Ball. They not only give ideas for the hour they follow up and send you the paint samples they suggested. And an area that is often overlooked and undervalued is the sheen of the paint, and he even told me what sheen to use for each area! Suggesting things I would not have thought of.
Home Office Plans and Farrow and Ball Paint-
- Sulking Room Pink – for bookcase to be painted in Modern Eggshell (you will also need mid tones interior wood primer/undercoat)
- Charleston Gray– for trim to be painted in Estate Eggshell (use dark tones interior wood primer/undercoat)
- Dimity– for ceiling in Estate Emulsion (and for walls if I don’t do wallpaper) OR I could paint the walls Paddy’s favorite white- Whimborne White.
- Wallpaper- Wisteria BP22-09– on the walls ( the wallpaper ground colour is Cinder Rose and print colours are Charleston Gray & Joa’s White)
- Bookshelf Inspiration– I sent that bookcase photo from @vestigehome to my cabinet designer! We are going to do 4 arches across the one main wall. This is what we will paint in the Sulking Room Pink.
- Dry erase calendar– love seeing just a week at a glance and write family things and work things we need to get done each day
- Oversized Lights– these are unfortunately not budget lights, but they are show-stoppers! Decided to do two over the desk. Our kitchen is really close and we only have one light over the island, so I felt it looked different enough.
- Oval Marble Dining Table (we are using for a desk)
- Wood Chairs with mustard seat– I had initially ordered these for our dining room, but like them better for our office!
I decided against the wallpaper, it didn’t feel like the right vibe I was going for. Paddy (I can call him that now:) did suggest a paint color for the walls if I didn’t end up liking the wallpaper in person.
I will be back hopefully sooner than later to share the finished room! If you are struggling with paint colors or just want to bounce ideas off someone I HIGHLY recommend Farrow and Ball Colour Consultancy Service. PS- Paddy suggested paint colors for our Kitchen too!!! I will share those tomorrow, below is a sneak peek!