Last Friday I shared some of my new favorite home decor pieces from Target on the blog. Over on Instagram I posted some Instagram Stories as we shopped for the pieces, so you could see them “in person”. I actually rarely go to Target. Our church is next to Target, so I try to combine the activities. Ella had an activity on a Wednesday night so I took Finn and Lola with me to Target to kill the hour. Finn is at the age that he is really hard to take shopping. He wants to get out and walk. My girls would always sit quietly in the cart with a little snack. Not Finn. I was picking out a couple shirts for him and he was right behind me. I turned around and he had pulled a FLOOR pillow onto the floor and was laying on it. Of course I thought it was cute, as I think everything is cute he does. I shared that little video amongst the other Target videos of my favorites. I got this direct message from a reader- “I’ve taught me kids not to touch something that does not belong to them. Have to start when they are you. Not everyone thinks children are cute when they touch property and play with it.”
First of all, I get it. It wasn’t our best moment, but really it’s honest life.
PS- if you buy something at Target you should assume it has been on the floor. I do feel judging another mother and telling them how they should parent is never really called for. I shared this “not so nice” message because I want you to know that I do get these types of messages. And I am sure many of you have or you have gotten a mean stare at a store. I see you. I know you are doing your best. Sometimes the only time we can shop IS with our kid. Yes, we try to teach them, and wrangle them into carts BUT our first thought should be- “what can I do to help? Or she might have had the worse day of her life, so I am going to smile.” Give Grace. That is what I walked away with from this little interaction. At first I felt stupid and was going to take down the video and forget about it. And not post the rest of the week (dramatic much). But I decided to share it, because I wanted others to know that they are not alone.
And if you saw this on Instagram and sent me a kind message, thank you! Also if you sent me THIS instagram post of Neil Patrick Harris laying on top of a bunch of pillows at Target ON THE FLOOR. It made my day. Finn as an adult. Vindication.
Speaking of Target, I thought I would share some of my favorite places to shop ONLINE for home decor! Because truthfully that is where I mostly like to shop. Unless it is Good Will or an Antique store or a fun boutique type shop. I love a good shopping “experience”.
TARGET– I always shop online because their is typically always a coupon code you can use! And the store never has the best furniture pieces! Right now you can use code OCTOBER to save 15% off on a lot of the furniture I shared last week HERE.
Serena & Lily– A little more higher-end. But I love finding one or two investment pieces to mix in with my less expensive finds. Right now you can save 20% off everything with code HOMELOVE. (See more favorites at the end of this post).
Wayfair– This is a great resource- and they do sales often. There is a mixture of high and low end products.
Walmart– I keep seeing more and more on their website! They have things online that come from Wayfair and lot of other sources.
H&M Home– YES! I love looking online at what they have new. I can always find great accessories and pillow covers. Shop NEW HERE.
Etsy– One of my go-to for pillows. I get asked often where to find 22″ pillows this is the place! Shop pillows HERE. And you can search by size and style.
Good Will and Second Hand Shops- Obviously not online- but you can reach local Tag Sale sites in your area! This is where I sell bigger things and even smaller things sometime. (Read THIS post on a Thrifted Home for tips!).
Amazon– Good to remember to check here for items. I am getting better at it, because I always find options. Especially rugs and mirrors.
There are obviously way more. But those are just what come to mind right off. Hope that helps in y0ur online shopping!
Favorites from the week-
- Someone told me that my plant on the coffee table that is called a Calathea is also known as a Prayer Plant (you can find it online HERE). I was talking about it and saying that it is an “active” plant. In the morning the leaves are pointed down then in the evening they are pointing up. Another reason I LOVE plants. SO many analogies that tie into life. No matter what your religious beliefs you have to actively participate in life- rise up and praise what you believe is important.
- Everyone should take some candid photos in their home. Have a partner take them for you or set up a basic tripod. Just doing things you do everyday. Your life. You touching your loved ones. You touching your homes. The photos up above are photos I will cherish for years to come. Or if you notice that you are never in any of your photos encourage your partner to capture more photos of you. Yes! I really said that to Kevin. I can remember looking through photos of things we did on a weekend or vacation and their were hardly any candid photos of me and my kids. I had a ton of Kevin and the kids. Now Kevin is much better at snapping candid pictures of us.
- THESE gray 24″ pillow with fringe on my sofa above are on sale for 20% off too! Those pillows are by-far some of my favorites. Comes in two colors.
- Found THIS Sherpa Sweater from Old Navy- might be the coziest thing I have ever worn! It fits true to size. If you are between sizes I would size down. I have it on in the photo above. SO many of you bought it when I shared it last week. Snag it quick!
- My sister is coming on Monday and I can’t wait!! We going to go apple picking and make apple sauce after! She reminded me my mom used to add cinnamon red hots to the jars to make cinnamon apple sauce. Anyone remember or still do this??
- Do you watch Poldark? It is on PBS. I LOVE it so much. The new season just started. I am kind-of a prude when it comes to TV shows. I can’t do really any of the popular series like Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black or even the Bachelor. Poldark is just good!
My favorite bedding is all on sale! 2o% off! (See how I make a fluffy bed HERE).
- I can’t say enough about THIS quilt. It is oversized so you might need to measure if you have a short mattress. It fits our bed perfectly.
- Also THIS duvet is linen and love all the colors.
- THESE shams are quilted in the front and extra cozy.
- We have THESE Linen sheets and the more we use them the softer they get. Linen get’s better with age.
- THIS chunky knit throw blanket is an investment piece. If you have the budget for it, now is the time when it is on sale.
- You can find my floral pillow HERE.
- Also that means our Hanging Chair is 20% off (see how we hung it HERE).PS- I can’t wait to take those window units out! Eye sore. But necessary evil. We don’t have central air. Instead we have three of those units that serve us well.
I hope you have a great weekend! I wanted to share a little weekend project my friend just did. A Free Little Library. She found a $10 cabinet online on her local FB Tag Sale site. Painted it, added a roof, a new handle and it was done! Maybe it will inspire you to tackle a project of you own. Even if it is just decluttering an area!
Serena & Lily– Friends & Family: Get 20% off everything with code HOMELOVE
Click on an image below to shop my favorites!
Judging other people’s parenting is so obnoxious. If we all had more empathy and gave each other more benefit of the doubt I think we’d be so much better as a society. Who knows why this person felt the need to scold, but probably more about her than you.
Aniko Csomor says
Brooke, can you share where your white throw is from? The one in the corner with the long fringe. I need it in my life! 🙂
[email protected] says
It was from anthropologie! They have many similar and I actually found a similar one at Home Goods last year! So check there too!
Aniko Csomor says
KIM ALLEN says
As a parent of a now-grown up kid who is severely autistic, I get my share of the “why doesn’t she leave him at home stares” myself. Each person has there own struggles and everyone needs to shop at least once in a while. Please enjoy your little boy as you see fit and put on your blinders to people who would ruin moments that you can’t get back! It’s just a pillow! And you are right–the pillows ARE all over the floor, I worked at a retail store and we regularly threw them on the floor to rearrange and straighten and stock!
[email protected] says
Oh bless you. You are amazing. And I too worked in retail for 16 years and YES, the pillows were always eventually on the floor. Thanks for your comment.
I forgot to say how much I am enjoying your posts in my previous comment! I am a new subscriber and have been following for about a week or two. I think your home is adorable and I live in a fairly small home myself which is challenging to decorate. I like to follow bloggers of different ages and enjoy the variety of ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lynn Lane says
Love all the bedding sources! I love the floral pillow. Would love to know the fabric or….. the colors work well for me. I can have something else made with the fabric or if you bought the pillow made. Thanks! Happy weekend! I’ve picked so many apples I need to stop and use them. Sounds like my weekend has a direction! Apples!
I love everything about this post. Also….Poldark is THE BEST. If you have Netflix, the series “Call The Midwife” is really great too. No boobs in your face or other stuff. 😁
Karen Ziemlak says
My children are grown but I remember what it was like to take them shopping. I want to go to the mom’s with the unhappy children and hold them and give the mom a break but unfortunately that can be taken as a little creepy. I usually just try and talk to the children with their parents.
[email protected] says
Yes! A kind word or smile is perfect!
Ashley Ekpo says
Love this post and your IG! I’m definitely that mom with a gaggle of children for most of my shopping trips. Luckily I’ve found most people to be nice in person…then again you run a blog and that seems to invite opinions lol. Still, I wonder how could someone offer to help in a way that mothers (even like me) would accept or appreciate? I’d like to help other moms when I’m going kid free but honestly don’t know how!
[email protected] says
I think a smile is all that is needed! To me that is “help” shows that you are on her side!
I’m only able to find 26 x 26 down pillow for the euro pillow shams. Do those down fills do ok in the 26 x 26 shams or is there a better method to making those pillows ‘full’?
Brooke- I love Poldark too and looking forward to seeing what the new season brings. I’m also awaiting patiently for the new season of Victoria.
[email protected] says
Me too!! I googled it yesterday….not until January???
I raised four sons and it’s hard and wonderful and sweet and hard and rewarding and hard etc. Now I am watching my daughter-in-law raise 3 boys and believe you me I am her biggest cheerleader. Can you believe it she had a mom post on social media about her son being in trouble at school on the playground even used his name?!! There will always be those judgemental folks. I am a mom, a grandma, and a teacher just doing the best I can. That’s all any of us can do! Bless you sweetie!
Amanda Block says
I am a big Poldark fan too! Just started season 4 today:) I’m kind of prude too…except I do watch the Bachelor🤷😉
Diane K says
Children should be allowed to be children. Unfortunately, I suspect this woman may have very uptight little people who are afraid to explore life due to the restrictions put on their sense of adventure. As long as they are not being destructive, obnoxiously loud and disturbing others or hurting anyone, life can go on. When my sons were young, I had a very wise older friend who told me never to say “My children would never…” because trust me, it will come back to bite you in the butt!! Be proud of what you are doing, your family looks lovely!!
What in the world is wrong with people? So sorry for the lady who said that to you. The world has gotten so ugly. Really hurts my heart. Thanks for all you do Brooke!
I usually find you on IG but am taking a social media break. 😁 Anyway id love if you’d post your apple sauce recipe! Also I love all of your favorites! And as far as having a kid on the floor with a pillow is the least of your worries at a store. I’ve had a kid barfing into my purse sitting in a shopping cart! I’m sure people loved that but what could I do! Such a parenting highlight! 😂 I’m glad you can have a sense of humor with your kids. You’re doing a great job! And this time of life is over so fast. Enjoy!
[email protected] says
Oh good for you! I have been taking a social media break on Sundays and it has been so nice.
Yes! We will share the apple sauce.
Ahhhhh mom of the year! Poor kid. That was probably awful for both of you.