We have turned our house plans to the City for our Ranch Style Home in Utah! Hopefully we can start working on the house in the next week or two. We got the sweetest note from someone who knew the previous home owners. The wife had passed away 40 years before the husband, and although he had the means to update the house he didn’t want to change anything that his sweet wife had picked out. Loved that story, and we plan to honor the house, while making it the best way we can for our family.
Our Architect is Wheeler Design
Thought I would share our floor plans with you! You always have such great ideas too, so please leave us a comment. We LOVE the current floor plan, just want to tweak it a little. Take a look at the plans below and the changes we have made and why.
Current Floor Plans-
Our New Floor Plans-
Here is a punch list of changes we are making
- Change: Move the stairs from the family room to the entry. Reason #1: where the stairs are now, they are cutting into the family room space, making it hard to place the furniture. Reason #2: The stairs will not only go to the basement, they will also go to the second floor addition.
- Change: Turn the living room into a dining room. Reason: with the stair change, they are cutting into the living room and would make the focal wall off-center. It will be a better flow to open up the wall dividing the family room and living room. We will also add a big window seat to that curved window, to create a sitting area.
- Change: Create a home office on the main floor where the current dining space is. Reason #1- Kevin and I both work from home and would like a home office on the main floor and a spot for kids to do school. Instead of having another living room.
- Change: Move the washer and dryer to the owners suite instead of off of the kitchen. Remove the bathroom off the kitchen. Reason #1- We don’t really have a pantry or a mudroom and would prefer that near the kitchen and garage. Also we have plenty of space for the laundry off of the owners suite.
- Change: Close-in the current owners suite bathroom and add a separate tub and shower. Reason: The owners suite is really large, so we want to use some of that space for a bigger bathroom and laundry room.
Original Floor Plan Elevation-
If you read this blog post on the first exterior ideas, you read where I really wanted to add a window to the upper floor in-between the two bedrooms, but it didn’t work with the current plans. So we went back to the drawing board and came up with this idea for the floor plan…..
Original Upper Floor Plan Idea
The walk-in closets were really nice, but not necessary and we would prefer a window WAY more than a walk-in closet. I know some might think that is crazy! More windows the better in my opinion.
Latest Upper Floor Plan Idea-
We really wanted a tub for the girls, one of them prefers to bath. And we wanted two separate vanities, that seemed to be the biggest issue with the girls sharing a bathroom before. One would be going to the bathroom or wanting to get ready alone, while the other one needed to get in.
Latest Floor Plan Elevations-
We have decided to leave the rock and not paint it (on the exterior). We do want to over-grout between the rocks (inspiration photo below). In addition to the window, we created some dimension by pushing back the area between the two bedrooms. And exposing more roof-line.
I am sure we will do some paint samples before we decide to paint the wood. But I am leaning towards a charcoal color. I feel it goes with the mountain, Utah look.
I am always a fan of white homes and with the rock I do think it could work. I really like the idea of painting the windows a fun color, like you see int the rendering above. BUT two homes right by us are painted white brick, which makes me not want to do the white.
This is more of a white-washed effect on the wood. Which I don’t think we will do, but fun to see.
Utah Ranch Inspiration
I am not specifically doing any of these ideas exactly. Just gathering images to be able to have narrow down the look we want to create in this home! Really helps me with decision making.
Dark Exterior with Rock– LOVE this entire look. I think if we go dark this will look like our exterior.
Another view from Amber Interiors of the exterior above in the light.
Mudroom with Lockers– we want to create a mudroom with lockers and also for a pantry.
Tile Source– I loved this tile for our last house, I think I need to use it somewhere!
Green Tile Source– same tile as above but in a fun green color. I could see this in our hall bathroom (Finn’s bathroom) or girls bathroom.
Fireplace Inspiration– we are adding a gas fireplace to our bedroom and the dining room. Love this fireplace look.
Kitchen Inspiration– How cool is that built-in pizza oven?! Also really love that marble backsplash.
Color and Cozy Family Room Inspiration– Another fireplace I am into this entire moody, with pops of color room. I always appreciate vintage art in a home.
Blue Windows– I don’t think it will work if we paint our home the darker color, but I really like the idea.
Outside Fireplace Inspiration and Brick Inspiration- would like to do something like this outside. And this is an idea for the rock, where the grout is more flush with the rock, verses too deep like we have now.
Bathroom Inspiration– Gosh, I love all of this. I would like this entire vibe even in our kitchen.
Floor Tile– I already ordered a sample of this floor tile. I think I am going to do it in our bathroom. Our kitchen will have wood floor.
I am very excited to get started! I will do individual design boards for each room and share those soon!