My New Years goal is to take my collagen supplement every day and get in more protein. I’ve taken it off and on and loved the results, so imagine if I make it part of my daily routine?! I mean, if I can reduce the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles naturally, just by taking a supplement, I’m all in! Collagen is naturally produced by our bodies, but did you know it’s ability starts to decrease around the age of 30, which is why collagen supplementation has become such a favorite for skin care. Sharing my favorite collagen and why!
First, I think a good question to answer is “what is collagen”?
Collagen is a type of protein – it is what gives structure to your skin, bones, tendons, organs, teeth, muscles, and blood vessels. It’s what makes our skin plump and soft, our hair and nails grow long and strong, our joints move smoothly, and strengthens our bones and muscles.
Did you know there are different types of collagen? Collagen supplements are made from cow, chicken, fish, or egg sources. There are benefits to each type of collagen, so to say “THIS is better than THIS” is really doing a disservice to our bodies! There are actually more than two dozen different types of collagen, all of which have slightly different functions—so which you choose depends on your goals. Here’s your guide to the most popular options out there-
- TYPE I – This is what I use! Type I collagen is most abundant in marine collagen, and because the molecules are smaller it is most bioavailable in this form. You often find an egg base collagen as type I. It makes up more than 75% of the collagen in your entire body! Our beauty bestie! It reduces fine lines and wrinkles, plus improves hydration and elasticity. It strengthens your nails, and helps your hair grow longer and thicker. It helps support your muscles, eyes, bones, and spine as well. . My favorite Inner Beauty Collagen (from Young Living) (new customers to YL keep reading to end for coupon code) features bioavailable Type I marine collagen sourced exclusively from sustainable marine sources, plus it has prebiotic fiber, which supports healthy skin by balancing the gut microbiome.
- TYPE II – Great for supporting joint health, as it is only present in your cartilage. It makes up most of the protein molecules in your cartilage, and the connective tissue that protects your bones at the joints. This is best taken in bone broths made from beef and chicken.
- TYPE III – Best used for gut healing and supporting your muscles, tendons, ligaments, connective tissue, and blood vessels. It is the second most abundant type of collagen in your body. This is found in bovine (beef) collagen.
There are so many reasons I love Inner Beauty Collagen will seriously be your new bestie–
- Reduces the look of wrinkles in as little as 3 weeks
- Improves skin’s smoothness & elasticity, including after UV damage
- Supports healthy skin, hair, and nails
- No dairy, gluten, added sugars, fillers, flavors, or colors.
- 5g of bioavailable, easily absorbed collagen per serving and the first ingredient in this product is collagen peptides. (Many other products on the market don’t directly disclose how much collagen is in their products. Look for fruit juices and other additives that are grouped with collagen, as they may mask how much collagen is in these products.)
If you drink coffee it’s so easy to add a scoop of collagen to that, we love this Perk hot energy drink (I like Chai flavor and Tan Mocha). A cute mug is a must! Just add a scoop and use a handheld whisk to mix or I put in my Milk Steamer, makes it hot and mixes it well… linked below!
I add one cup of water (first put the water in my mug to make sure it fits) in the steamer with one scoop Perk and one scoop Inner Beauty Collagen. Turn on milk steamer and it heats it up while mixing it perfectly! If you like Hot Chocolate you could add Collagen to that, or like I said above to coffee, add to smoothie, protein bites, or really anything you make because it is a powder, with no flavor.
- SMEG Milk Frother– $229- 20 oz heating capacity(this is mine)
- Maestri House– $89- 17 oz heating capacity (my sister has this one and loves it!)
- Breville– $159- 24 oz heating capacity
- Secura– $52- 17 oz heating capacity
- Starument– $49- 10 oz heating capacity
- RATRSO– $59- 16 oz heating capacity
I also like to add collagen to my protein shakes. I don’t like the collagen in just water, but I could do a quick shot of it if needed.
I love Young Living Protein Powder (probably my fav because flavor and smoothness), Just Ingredients and Clean Simple Eats are all favorite protein powders. Not listed on the ingredients to recipes above, but I do add one scoop of Inner Beauty Collagen to all of these recipes!
Or add collagen to your protein bites, I have a couple recipes we love HERE.
You can also add Inner Beauty Collagen to food! I found it blends so well with yogurt, smoothies or oatmeal. I like adding to my breakfast foods but taking anytime of day works too! You’ll love this oatmeal recipe, comforting and healthy and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up.
BERRY GOOD OATS (Makes 1 serving)
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 egg whites
- 1 Tbs. Peanut Butter
- 1 scoop Inner Beauty Collagen
- 1/2 serving Vanilla Protein
- 1/2 cup fresh berries of choice
- Add oats, water, egg whites together and cook in either a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or a saucepan on the stove for 3-5 minutes until the egg and oats are cooked.
- Stir in the peanut butter. Let cool a couple minutes. Stir in protein powder and collagen and top with berries. Enjoy!
Collagen Challenge and How to Get-
If you want to join me in this New Years challenge print your own calendar to keep track. Make sure to take a BEFORE photo (but cool to see!) and start by taking 1 scoop of our Inner Beauty Collagen a day! After you grab your collagen make sure to join our Nesting Well Facebook group for fun giveaways and recipes starting February 1st!
- Mighty Pro– all my kids take this daily! I swear by it for a healthy gut and healthy immune system. It tastes like a pixie stick. Blend of prebiotics and probiotics featuring over 8 billion active. I like taking it too, but adults need two to meet the required dosage.
- Unwind– helps with sleep support, magnesium supplement and to promote a calm and relaxed state, reduce restlessness, and improve focus and mental clarity at home and in the classroom.
- Sulfurzyme– I call this my beauty mineral, helps support healthy hair, skin and nails. I like to add it to my Ningxia.
- Ningxia– my superfood multi-vitamin drink!!! I do not miss a day taking this. I drink it straight or mix it with Sulfurzyme, Golden Turmeric and splash of Pineapple Juice! When I want a real treat or avoiding ice cream I mix it all with OliPop (I love Tropical Punch!).
- hergreens– I just started taking these, taste so good and one stick includes 14 variations of greens.
- hertime– well, I got these to take because I was breaking out around my period, it tastes good too!
- herhydration– I got these for Ella to take when she plays soccer, she likes to add flavor to her water and she liked this!